1. Head to the sample block / area you want to test, and dig out a 20cm deep square as wide as your spade (aiming for a 20 x 20 x 20cm hole – but consistency is the main thing).
2. Place the dug up soil on your bag / tray.
3. Break down the soil with your hands, and keep any earthworms you find in the bag. Replace soil in the hole you’ve dug.
4. Count the number of earthworms and record in the app, remembering to click ‘Sync’ when you’ve finished with your phone.
5. If you’d like to go deeper, you can count the number of different types of worms and record this in the ‘notes’ section of Sectormentor. Remember to put the worms back in the soil when you’re done!