1. Head to the sample location you’re interested in testing, and remove all weeds / debris / vegetation in a 150 x 150 x 150 cm area on the soil.
2. Hammer the infiltration cylinder into the soil, to an 85 mm depth.
3. Gently firm the soil on the inside of the tube, and measure out 450ml of water in your pre-marked bottle.
4. Pour the water into the cylinder and start your timer. Stop the timer when all the water has disappeared into the ground and the surface is just glistening. Record the infiltration time in Sectormentor.
5. Repeat step 4 again in the same location for the second inch – the second time you get a better indication of the actual infiltration rate of your soil (less dependent on recent weather). You may want to keep repeating to see the effect this has on the rate!
6. If you want to work out your infiltration rate in inches/hr. Do 3600/no. of seconds, this gives you the number of inches/hr. If you want to know mm/hr then divide your answer by 25.4.
e.g 20 seconds. Is 3600/20 = 180 inches/hr.
180/25.4 = 7mm/hr